Outdated and faulty electrical wiring can cause electrical fires and damage home appliances. A complete home rewiring may be expensive, but it’s better than risking the safety of your Charlotte, NC, home. Below are the telltale signs of damaged or outdated wiring that requires rewiring to safeguard your family.
If you change light bulbs but still notice unwanted variances in your home’s lighting system, the issue could be its wiring. Faulty wiring prevents electricity from flowing through the wires and reaching their destination. As a result, it causes flickering lights and irregular connections. The best thing is to call an experienced electrician to replace your old wiring.
Discolored Switches and Outlets
Loose wiring connections or degraded wiring allow electricity to escape as sparks into the open, which discolors outlets and switches. The sparks create fires that warp power outlets, and the degradation and loose connections can only worsen over time. A discolored outlet or switch should be a sign that your home needs electrical services.
There’s a Burning Smell
Burning smells around power outlets or the breaker box indicate that wiring is sparking. The burning smell or scorch marks could be due to damaged wires or an overload. If that happens, then your home is due for rewiring.
An Old House
Consider hiring an electrician to inspect your wiring if the house isn’t in line with modern electrical codes. Signs of this can include two-prong outlets and fuses, not breakers, in your fuse box. A professional can advise you on whether you need upgrades.
If you detect any warning signs, first turn off the electricity to the affected area. The next step should be to contact an electrician for inspection, diagnosis and rewiring for the safety of your household. Call us Bradham Brothers, Inc. today to schedule an appointment for generator installation and rewiring services.
Image provided by iStock